Wednesday 19 May 2004

Gandhi decides to turn down post

"I was always certain that if I ever found myself in the position that I am in today, that I would follow my inner voice," Mrs. Gandhi told Congress party members inside Parliament's cavernous central hall. "Today, that voice tells me I must humbly decline this post." ...

India's stock markets recovered from a two-day crash on news that Mrs. Gandhi would step aside for Mr. Singh. ...

"The nation will be saved from dishonor" by Mrs. Gandhi's decision, said Sushma Swaraj, the information minister in the Vajpayee government who had sworn to resign from Parliament rather than serve under Mrs. Gandhi.
Jyoti Basu, a senior communist leader, said Mrs. Gandhi's children, Rahul and Priyanka, had asked her to step aside over fears she would be assassinated.
I smell sitcom! movie of the week. (maybe miniseries)

No comments: