Thursday 13 October 2005

Fog Facts by Larry Beinhart

I purchased Fog Facts two days ago at a local borders. The clerk hadn't heard of the book, and seemed surprised when I told her exactly where it was in the store.

There's a lot of good stuff in this book, but this is my favorite quote:
"John Maynard Keynes was a British economist who invented the idea of deficit spending to stimulate the economy, especially at times of high unemployment. The method he recommended was investment in public works, which would employ people--immediately solving the unemployment issue--who would then have money to spend, and the aggregate total of spending and consumption would increase, boosting the entire economy.
"That's demand-side economics.
"Supply-side economics is the Republican inversion of the idea. It is that you give the money to the investing class and they will supply more things which the unemployed will want so much that they will... they will... rob convenience stores to obtain them."

Anyway.. I just finished reading it. The word "to" is missing from the third paragraph on page 182, but other than that solitary annoyance the text sparkled - this is a magnificent book. Buy it. Give it to friends. Leave it in coffee shops, airports, and bus terminals. Purchase multiple copies and take them to dentist offices, hospitals, and hotel lobbies. I'd do it myself but I'm a freelance artist and writer, I could barely afford my own copy.

So, since buying multiple copies and giving them away is outside of my financial capability, instead I decided to do what I could do, which is provide a list of the URL's cited in the text of the book... provide footnotes online for this extraordinarily important and timely non-fiction work. Larry Beinhart has not asked me to do this. He doesn't know who the fuck I am. That's fine, I'm a pretty shifty fella, and I don't get out much.

Anyway, here's the links cited in Fog Facts, by Larry Beinhart:
Chapter One

Clues Alerted White House to Potential Attacks

Contingency planning Pentagon MASCAL exercise simulates
scenarios in preparing for emergencies


The Lone Gunmen
Pilot episode of X-Files spin off an insider 911 warning or sick conditioning?


Air France - Al Qaeda's New Front

Genoa braces for G8 summit

cooperativeresearch.org



Chapter Two

The Courts and the War on Terror



Chapter Three


DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
Washington, DC, 8 May 1987
FM 34-52
INTELLIGENCE INTERROGATION


Chapter Four

THE CANADIAN REBELLION OF 1837
The U.S. on the Brink of War, Buffalo, N.Y.



Chapter Five

Chickenhawks List



Chapter Six

Bush's Tax Cuts - A Form of National Insanity



George Bush As Herbert Hoover? Oh Come On!



Bush: Urgent need for 'bold' economic plan



Dubya and the Press



Cheney's Halliburton Ties Remain



Kerry Ad Falsely Accuses Cheney on Halliburton



Chapter Seven

Freedom vs. the Welfare State



The morality of markets


Chapter Eight

Iraq: the missing billions - Transition and transparency in post-war Iraq



Chapter Nine

Voting Irregularities in Florida During the 2000 Presidential Election



Chapter Ten

Shock And Awe: Achieving Rapid Dominance


the above url is dead... I found the same document archived here : http://www.shockandawe.com/index1.htm


'SHOCK AND AWE'


I created this list for my own benefit while reading Fog Facts, and thought it would be of benefit for other readers. Please keep in mind, the above list does not include every referenced article, but rather only every listed URL. Again, this is a magnificent book. Buy it.

No comments: