Tuesday 1 November 2005

John Granrose PhD: The Archetype of the Magician

23 January 2000:
Note from Kathleen Jenks, Ph.D.

This diploma thesis by John Granrose, Ph.D., Director of Studies "E" at the C.G. Jung Institute in Zurich, is a page from a now-vanished website. I saved it to my hard drive months ago when I realized that it was endangered but, unfortunately, I did not realize at the time that I needed to save each image separately as well. Thus, although the text is here just as it was on the now defunct JungIndex, all the graphics are missing. Dr. Granrose has generously given me permission to give his work a temporary "home" on MythingLinks and I am hopeful that we will soon be able to restore his images as well. In the meantime, here is his superb paper.....



Contents:

I. Introduction

II. Archetype, Archetypal Image, and Symbol

III. "Magician"
Mana
Personality
Shaman
Trickster
Fool


IV. A Gathering of Magicians
Hermes
The Tarot Magician
Merlin
Houdini


V. Tools of the Trade
Magic Wand
Magic Words
Magic Circle
Audience


VI. The Analyst as Magician
Wand
Words
Circle
Audience

VII. Conclusion

No comments: